In our time living in this home, we've stumbled across some ideas that help us make living in a small space a bit easier.
1. Choose pieces that can do double duty. Some examples are: a kitchen island that can be used to eat on as well as store kitchen items or a bench that can be used for seating and storage.
2. Use vertical space. Try and get things up off the floor by using tall pieces of furniture like a bookcase or shelves on the walls.
3. Look for places to hide storage. Under the beds and on the backs of doors are great places to conceal and store items.
4. Declutter often. Really think about what you need to keep and be willing to part with things that aren't used often. I am amazed at how frequently we get rid of things and still can find more to declutter.
5. Going along with number 4 - curate your collections. It's wonderful to keep a smaller collection of special things that you love and enjoy.
6. Change things up! I know that as our daughter grows, our needs in this house change. She isn't playing with certain toys as much, so it might be time to get rid of a few things. Since she's in school now, we are in the process of reworking the space in her room to find a place for her desk.
7. Create a space that you love and enjoy. In a small home, you see every room and space often. Add some handmade touches that you like to look at or purchase a few small pieces to spruce up your home. Light some candles, put out some throw pillows, make it cozy!
8. Focus on the positives. No house is perfect, but it is so helpful to have a positive outlook and see potential instead of shortcomings.
What tips would you add to this list?