Small Home Living: Hidden Storage Part 1

Obviously, one of the challenges of living in a small space is finding storage for things. Smaller homes tend to be older, so there is usually less built in storage in the form of closets. In addition, since we live in and use all of the rooms in our house, it's not like we can use one room exclusively for storage because we really don't have an extra room that isn't already in use. There are 2 ways to deal with this issue: 1. Have fewer things to store. 2. Find creative ways to store what you need to keep.

Today, I'm going to show you a few hidden storage areas in our bedroom. None of these things are particularly creative or unique, but maybe you'll get an idea or two you can use.
 


 We have things stored under the bed in both of our bedrooms.

 
In our room, we store wrapping paper, bags, and party supplies in our under bed storage. We also hae a separate tote for Christmas wrapping paper, cards, and supplies. In our daughter's room, we store clothes in the next size up that we purchase ahead.

Since we don't have end tables, I use this tote for reading materials by my bed. I have magazines, a book or two, and my Bible in here.

 


My ironing board hangs behind our bedroom door. This is surprisingly convenient and I use my ironing board a lot for sewing.

 

 
This one isn't hidden, but this is how I store all my chunky necklaces. I covered a cork board with fabric and hang all these necklaces up here. I definitely need to go through these and get rid of a few or maybe even make a bigger board.
 
So there you have it! Some of our storage solutions in our room. I am always looking for storage ideas, so if you have any to share, please let me a comment!

Comments

Sewing Mom said…
Under the bed storage is a must here too! I have raised up my daughter's bed, so that we can fit quite a bit underneath it. We have storage under our bed too...linens and my sweaters. =)
I have things hung on hooks above the doors on the inside of the closets and the laundry room.

The inside doors of closets have hooks too.

While there is plenty of storage space here I seem to have stuff stored for all four grown kids. LOL


<><
Lindsay said…
I have wrapping paper under my bed, too! :) Great storage solutions!