Summer to Fall Transitional Wardrobe: 2016 Edition

We still have a month left of summer on the calendar, but here in Ohio, we're already feeling a bit of a weather shift. It's still quite hot and humid, but mornings and evenings are cooler. I've always had trouble with the change of season in terms of what to wear (see my 2015 transitional capsule here and some winter to spring transition tips here) so this year, I immediately recognized the need to pull together a transitional capsule.

I picked an overall color scheme of gray, black, denim/chambray, orange, green, and purple. In looking at last year's capsule, I definitely see some similarities and six of the pieces are exactly the same! Here's what in the summer to fall transitional wardrobe for 2016.


Starting with casual bottoms:

  • Merona nutmeg polka dot shorts*
  • Old Navy boyfriend jeans*
  • Boston Proper dark wash skinny jeans*
  • Sonoma medium wash skinny jeans
  • Stylus black skinnies
  • Ann Taylor LOFT denim shorts* 



Work pants:

  • Old Navy lilac Pixie pants
  • Ann Taylor LOFT white crops*
  • Talbots tan dress pants*
  • Old Navy striped Pixie pants*
  • Gap coral dot skinny minis*
  • Old Navy gray Pixie pants*
  • St. John's Bay olive pants*
  • J. Crew chambray skirt*


Tops:

  • Merona purple print blouse* 
  • Merona 3/4 sleeve striped tee
  • Mossimo gray stripe tee
  • Mossimo gray tee
  • Kiara orange chevron blouse*
  • The Limited fuchsia ruffle tee*
  • Merona dark green cap sleeve top
  • Merona leopard shell
  • Old Navy polka dot chambray*
  • Mossimo coral tee




I swapped out the green tee in the upper left hand picture for the floral Ann Taylor LOFT button up* in the photo above. I loved the colors; it's very lightweight, and I thrifted it for $1 at our Goodwill outlet!


Completer pieces and dresses:

  • Christopher and Banks olive vest*
  • Denim jacket
  • Orange cardigan*
  • Stylus gray cardigan
  • Croft and Barrow purple cardigan
  • Apt. 9 gray and black print dress*


  • Liz Claiborne chambray dress* (just thrifted, I've been looking for a chambray dress forever!!)
This capsule has a total of 32 pieces right now. This represents approximately 1/3 of my total wardrobe. I am flexible with my capsules and reserve the right to shift things in and out if something isn't working. I also have a new piece coming from Elegantees that I can't wait to share with you - it will work perfectly with this capsule! Of the 32, 20 pieces (62.5%) were purchased secondhand (or gifted from my #thriftgiving box!) from Goodwill, Schoola, Plato's Closet, garage sales etc. Five of the items were only $1 from our Goodwill outlet!!

I'm sharing my #summertofallcapsule outfits on Instagram if you're interested in checking them out!

Comments