Tuesday, July 2, 2013

DIY Patriotic Manicure


I usually have my toenails painted during the summer months, but I rarely paint my fingernails. I can't remember the last time I painted my own nails! I am definitely not a nail expert!

Avon challenged the 2013 Makeup Mavens to create a patriotic manicure look just in time for 4th of July. At first, I wasn't sure what I would do, but when I was looking through some ideas I had pulled out of a magazine, I came across this tutorial for creating glitter fade nails in 4 easy steps from Lucky Magazine.

I decided to give this a try with a red, white, and blue twist. Here's what I used:


1. Avon Nailwear Pro in Vintage Blue
2. Avon Clear Speed Dry (received this as a part of one of the Makeup Maven prize bundles)
3. Martha Stewart Glitter in Red, White, and Blue Shades


First, I applied 2 coats of the Vintage Blue Nailwear. I had the 3 different colors of glitter in separate bowls. I used the polish brush from Clear Speed Dry to get a bit of glitter on it, then brushed the glitter on the tip of the nail starting at the top and moving down. I alternated the red, white, and blue glitter (the white didn't show up too well), then finished with a coat of the clear to seal everything.

My daughter liked it, so of course, I had to do her nails the same way!


It was fun to do something different like this and I might give it a try again in the future.

What are your favorite nail looks? Any favorite products?

I'm linking up!

4 comments:

Lindsay(PACountryCrafts) said...

UGH!!! My girls made a mess with nail polish yesterday. Grrrr...

Your nails look cute, though! Did the glitter stay on well?

I need to do something about my toenails- there is barely any polish left on them. I painted them at Easter, with great flexibility, and I don't think I can manage that now. My girls wanted to mess around in the nail polish- I should make them do it!

Dorene from Ohio said...

Love the red, white, and blue nails!!

Lisa said...

Pretty and reminds me of fireworks! Happy 4th to you!

Sewing Mom said...

I think I tend to be like you...painted toes, hardly ever nails. I think it's a waste of time. I did paint my nails on Sunday and within 1 hour, I had chips in the paint and smudges. =)

I don't use avon products, but I did just buy some clear calcium to coat my nails and strengthen them. I figured it's better than nothing.

Looks like you're both ready for the 4th! =)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com