Book Review: A Note Yet Unsung

A few weeks ago, I finished reading A Note Yet Unsung by Tamera Alexander. When I got the book in the mail, I was so excited because I think the cover is just stunning. It's so pretty; it made an instant impression on me and I was automatically looking forward to reading the book. Luckily, the book was just as good as the cover made it appear. While the book is the third in the Belmont Mansion series, with the exception of some overlapping characters, it is a stand alone novel.

Set in the 1870's, the reader is transported into the world of the orchestra. Despite being classically trained as a violinist in Vienna, Rebekah Carrington is unable to obtain a position in an orchestra because women are considered too fragile for such a position. She's unwilling to give up on her dream and uses her knowledge of music to gain a job working with Tate Whitcomb, the conductor of the Nashville Philharmonic. As they work together to compose and transcribe a new symphony, the secrets both of them hide are discovered. This unlikely pair turns into an unexpectedly formidable team, but can Rebekah get someone to take a chance on her as a female violinist?

As a musician, this book was one of the my favorites that I have read recently. The characters in the novel are both talented and truly human, full of flaws and insecurities. The plot takes some twists and turns that I was surprised about and incorporates more history than I initially anticipated. I would highly recommend this novel to music and historical fiction lovers!

I received this book from Bethany House in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments