Storytime Fun: Alyssa Satin Capucilli

I absolutely adore children's literature and am passionate about literacy. My work at the library allows me to read and use many different children's books and occasionally I get to hear children's authors speak. Today I had the pleasure of listening to Alyssa Satin Capucilli, author of the famous Biscuit and Katy Duck books (among others!).

I very much enjoyed her presentation and highly recommend her books. In addition, I want to share with you her website, including some of the materials you can use as you read these books at home with your children.

Literary Fun - This section contains printable coloring sheets, a matching activity, and a connect the dots relating to Biscuit or Katy Duck. There are also printable bookmarks and online word searches.

Reader's Theater - This section has a printable reader's theater script and letters that can be used with the book Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats. We heard this story today and participated in a simple alphabet activity with the story. It is a darling story and would be great for working on various letter exercises.

Katy Duck Classroom Activity Kit (PDF) - This printable resource includes ideas to use with the Katy Duck books as well as printable sequencing cards, choreography cards, and a letter writing activity. This would easily work as a literature unit plan for homeschooling parents of younger children.

Finally, Alyssa talked about her new blog, which she hopes will be a place for librarians, parents, and educators to discuss ideas about how to use a variety of books and activities to instill a love of reading in children.

I am looking forward to sharing these books and ideas with my daughter and my storytime kiddos. I hope you enjoy them as well!

Comments