Book Review: High as the Heavens by Kate Breslin

I was pleased to be a part of the street team for Kate Breslin's newest book, High as the Heavens. The book is a Christian historical fiction novel set in Brussels during World War I. On the surface, Evelyn Marche is a widowed nurse, but readers quickly discover that she is involved in work as a spy for a Belgian resistance group. When a British plane crashes in the middle of a park, Evelyn is on the scene and shocked at who she finds has survived the crash. She will risk everything to help British Captain Simon Forrester escape from being executed as a spy...but why? The answers are surprising and compelling.

Told in a series of flashbacks and current events in the novel, readers learn about all that Evelyn, her family, and Simon Forrester have endured throughout the war as well as how Evelyn and Simon are connected. This book is full of twists and turns, lots of suspense, and a little romance. Evelyn and Simon rarely know who is a friend and who is a foe, and they even have difficulties trusting each other. Both must learn to trust again, both each other and God. I love how the book developed and changed these characters and put the readers right into a key time in history. I always enjoy historical fiction, because I feel that I learn something new from reading the books. I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments