Book Review: Rhythms of Rest by Shelly Miller

For many years, intentional living has been our goal as a family. I read a variety of blogs and other resources that support this type of thoughtful living and decision making. I am not a big reader of nonfiction books, but when Rhythms of Rest by Shelly Miller showed up in my inbox, it sounded like something I'd like to try reading. I discovered several years ago that I am what is known as a "highly sensitive person" and my daughter is highly sensitive as well. Having opportunities to rest and recharge as well as good overall routines in place is important to both of us. During the first half of this school year (when I started this book), we were in a place of just being too busy and I was feeling the strain of that.

Enter Rhythms of Rest. The focus of the book is delving into what the Sabbath is and how we can make it a reality in our daily lives. In addition, the book discusses the benefits of Sabbath keeping and what a gift from God the concept and practice of Sabbath is. As a result of reading this book, we have made some adjustments to our Sunday routines. As church musicians, my husband and I work on Sundays, so we needed some practical steps to find rest on Sundays after our responsibilities were complete. This book is full of stories and ideas that will help anyone to find opportunities for Sabbath rest whenever they can find it. It's not just limited to Sundays. I'm looking forward to receiving the weekly "Sabbath Society" emails to keep our forward progress going in this area.

I received this book from Bethany House in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments