Book Review: A Beauty Refined by Tracie Peterson

Time for a new book review! I recently finished reading A Beauty Refined by Tracie Peterson, book 2 in the Sapphire Brides series. You can see my review of book 1 in the series here. In A Beauty Refined, Phoebe Von Bergen is the daughter of a German count. She is visiting America for the first time with her father as he is buying sapphires in Helena, Montana. While at the Broadwater Hotel, Phoebe meets a lapidary (gem-cutter) named Ian Harper. Ian realizes Phoebe's father is not a truthful man, and his secrets threaten to endanger his daughter's faith in her father as well as her safety.

Set in 1907, at first glance this book is a historical romance. On a deeper level, this book contains a great deal more mystery and action than I anticipated. The cover of the book is gorgeous. I really liked reading about the food and clothing in the book; I might be weird, but I always enjoy that aspect of historical fiction.

I think my main issue with this book had to do with the plot. Obviously, novels typically contain a number of "serendipitous" events that seem unlikely to occur in real life. I felt like the main premise of the book was extremely far-fetched and so the plot of the entire book was a stretch for me. This book also contained domestic violence, so if you have any trouble reading about these scenarios, I think it's important to know there are scenes where domestic violence is described.

Overall, this was an interesting book, but not my favorite title I've read recently.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments