Book Review: To Everything a Season

To Everything a Season by Lauraine Snelling is the first book in the Song of Blessing series. However, the setting and characters in the book are familiar to many of us that have read other Lauraine Snelling books. Set in Blessing, North Dakota, the novel continues to chronicle the lives of the Bjorklund family. In addition to extending the storylines of many characters, some new people are introduced to the town, including a nurse named Miriam.

Overall, I did like this book. It definitely wasn't my favorite book of Lauraine Snelling, for reasons I explain below. Lauraine Snelling's writing style is quite enjoyable. She does a nice job of creating well-developed, believeable characters. The reader is able to understand the emotions and decisions facing each character. The setting is also wonderful. I like how the book allows the reader to put him/herself into the time period in history being depicted.  I also like how the author weaves the characters' faith into the book.

If someone has never read one of the other books by Lauraine Snelling set in Blessing, I do think the characters and storyline in this book would be difficult to follow. Also, the synopsis of the book seemed to indicate that new characters would predominate the storytime, when in reality they only had a supporting role. Additionally, I was not prepared for the death of one of the major characters in the book toward the end of the novel. The scene when this occurs was well-written and poignant, but extremely difficult for me to read. I just want to warn any other readers before they read this book!

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments