What I Wore: Black Skinnies and DIY

I have two looks to share today. The first is what I wore to church yesterday and the second look is how I swapped out some pieces for the rest of the day on Sunday.


Cardigan: Worthington (Thrifted), Tie Neck Blouse: 212 Collection (Thrifted), Black Skinnies: Target, Sandals: Payless, Jewelry: Avon

 


Tee: DIY (more info below), Tennis Shoes: Saucony Bullet Vegan (6pm.com), Necklace: Avon

So I got the idea in my idea to DIY a graphic tee. I picked up a 4-pack of gray men's tees at Target for $1.78, found a tutorial on Pinterest, got the transfer paper, etc. I found my image at the Graphics Fairy. The first try was a fail. First my printer ink ran out. Then when we ironed on the image we discovered that the backing on the dark tee transfer paper was white which wasn't what I was looking for. So I got more ink and picked up the light tee tranfer paper. This look was more what I was trying for, but the image is still kind of shiny, so not perfect, but OK. Total cost was around $12 (tees plus 2 packs of transfer paper), plus I have 2 more tees and enough transfer paper for a couple more projects.

**Updating to add: after washing, the transfer on this got kind of crackly in texture. I am not thrilled with how it looks. We waiting 24 hours after washing, so not sure what the story is. If you try this, let me know how it works, but wanted to pass along this info.

I have been scouring Goodwill obsessively for a denim jacket so I can make it into a denim vest, but no luck. We're heading to dance tonight, so I can check out a different Goodwill there.

Any DIY apparel or accessories projects you'd recommend? I'm always up for an new project!

I'm linking up to:

Sunday Best at The Modern Austen
Remix, Rewear, Restyle at Greater Than Rubies
I Feel Pretty at Get Your Pretty On

Comments

Amy G said…
Your T-shirt looks good from a distance, at least! And it looks much better than the T-shirt transfer projects I remember doing as a kid! I'm kind of curious about it now, and wondering if I should try my hand at it.
Love your ambition! I've done DIY Graphic tees with fabric paint and freezer paper stenciling and that works great, but never with printed transfer paper. I really liked your first outfit as well--bow tie blouses are among my weaknesses :)