Capsule Wardrobe Thoughts


*I started this post over a month ago and have done even more reading about capsule wardrobes in the meantime! I am just fascinated with capsules and reducing my wardrobe and being selective about what I buy, etc, etc. I am going to go ahead and publish this as it, but will probably be sharing some additional information + an update in the next couple of weeks, if not sooner. :)

Over the last few years, I've done lots of work on my wardrobe. I've weeded out things that don't work for me and continue to try and make good, sound purchases that really fit my style and my life. To help in this process, I've been working through some of the questions posed by Caitlin at Greater Than Rubies in her How to Build a Capsule Wardrobe series. (This is a great series and I would highly recommend it, plus Greater Than Rubies as a whole.)

In the anatomy section, she reviews a list of 7 core pieces. As I looked through my wardrobe, I decided on these 7 pieces for my core:
  • Black dress pants
  • Gray cardigan (completer)
  • Chambray button down
  • Light gray tee (I need a new one.)
  • Black short sleeve jersey dress
  • Black floral print skirt (?)
  • Snakeskin print bow blouse (tank) (?)
I am not positive about the tank and skirt being true "core" pieces, so I am adding the question marks there. :)

Next up, the evaluation portion asked us to answer some questions. The first question that I worked on really yielded some answers for me. Basically, it asks each person what unique things do you need to consider for your life and how does this impact the type of wardrobe pieces you need? I work part-time in an environment that requires business casual or dressy casual attire most days. I typically work 4-5 days a week, but some days, I only work an hour or less. In between, I'm taking my daughter to and from school, working on our Etsy shop, doing laundry, church meetings, volunteering at her school, etc.

I only like to get dressed once each day and I don't usually change after work is finished for the day. In addition, lots of my time at work is spent with kids age 5 and under - which I love! :) However, it means I'm the floor, picking up toys, bending down, and so on. So that brings its own wardrobe requirements.

In a nutshell, I like pieces that are washable, no iron, comfortable, polished, and modest. I prefer skirts and dresses that are knee length or longer, higher rounded necklines, and comfortable pants. Identifying all of this helped me to realize I don't have enough pants for my work and church days. I can usually only wear jeans 1-2 days a week. Most of the skirts I have aren't long enough for me to feel 100% comfortable in and I only have a couple of dresses (black and navy) that fit the bill. I also need to be more careful about not picking v-necks or other necklines on shirts that require me to wear something like a scarf to be comfortable at work.

My favorite outfits are black skinnies, boots or flats, a cute top, with a scarf or necklace or a print blouse and dress pants. I also really like maxi skirts with a tee and a cardigan.

All of this is going to help me to revise my wishlist of pieces I'd like to help round out my wardrobe.

How would you answer some of these questions? Does it help you to put together a capsule wardrobe for yourself?

Comments