Setting Goals

We're almost a week into the new year and I'm still mulling over how and whether to set goals for this year. I think goals are wonderful and I am very goal-oriented anyway. The problem is...I think I become too focused on goals and have trouble limiting my goals. That makes them overwhelming for me.

I definitely want to keep reading lots of books, including non-fiction.

I know I want to keep exercising as long as I am able. I usually try for 5 days a week. My total mileage (running, walking, mini-elliptical, etc) was over 800 miles for 2013.

I read the New Testament in 2011 and started the Old Testament in 2012. I was supposed to finish the Old Testament in 2012, but I am still working on it now. Three more books left - Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Ezekial. I'm trying to clean up loose ends with this one, then hoping to move on to some more specific studies - any recommendations?

I want to work on praying for people more, especially my husband and daughter.

I'm trying to buy less this year, and I want to try and support socially responsible companies, even when it costs more.

My daughter starting school this year has been a huge adjustment, and we're all still getting used to it. It means making choices about what we do with our time when she's not in school, and possibly saying no to things we've been doing for years. I'm working on being on the computer less when she's home in the morning and evening and even just sitting out with her in our living room.

I'm not someone who has ever liked to journal, but I just finished the book The Promise Box by Tricia Goyer, and it really showed me the power of the written word as a legacy to our children and grandchildren. I've been thinking about a 1-page per month format where I could record books we read, fun things we did a family, milestones, etc. I'm not sure on all the specifics, but I know it needs to be simple. Have you seen anything like this that I can print or buy?

We've already declared January as our financial check-in month. We'll tweak our budget and spreadsheet, take a look at various accounts, do a net worth statement, etc.

I also want to keep track of the handmade things I make by taking a quick photo of each one. I probably won't share them all on here or maybe I'll do an end of the month post with all of them or something. I think I make more than I realize and I'd like to be able to look back on my body of work at the end of the year.

I'm not going to include anything about my work right now, but I may occasionally blog about some of the programs I plan just to keep a record of the ideas and also in case the plans and research might be helpful to others.

See, too many ideas!! I know many of you can relate. I do believe this is the extent of my goal setting this year. How about you? Do you have any goals? Did you write a post about your goals? Let me know in the comments!

Comments