Book Review: Chasing Hope

Chasing Hope by Kathryn Cushman is a contemporary Christian fiction novel. It is the story of Sabrina Rice, a runner with her sights set on the Olympics. Medical problems make this dream impossible for Sabrina, so she attempts to put running in the back of her mind and tries to move on with her life. Instead, she focuses on a new set of goals, including a prestigious internship. She unexpectedly finds herself in the role of running coach when she meets Brandy Philip. Sabrina recognizes Brandy's running talent immediately, but wants nothing to do with Brandy or running. Brandy needs Sabrina's help to stay out of the juvenile detention center and Sabrina is her last chance. The road is anything but smooth as the pair face their challenges head on, but the outcome is beyond what either of them could dream or imagine.

This is one of my favorite books that I've read so far this year. I thought the characters of Sabrina and Brandy were very interesting and believable and I could especially relate to Sabrina's character. As a runner (even though I am not fast or a competitive runner), I really enjoyed that part of the storyline. The book was aptly titled - I could feel both characters chasing after a new, hopeful future. I think a lot of us can understand the feeling of not having our lives go the way we think they will, but this book helps us to all understand that we go through things in our lives for a reason, and God can use all of these things to shape us and to make us more effective in the position He has placed us in. I would highly recommend this book and will be looking for other Kathryn Cushman books to read in the future.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments