Denim Refashion: Bootcut to Boyfriend

Boyfriend jeans are on my clothing wish list for spring. I looked around on Pinterest quite a bit at different kinds of boyfriend jeans and how they were styled. I think they can look good with flats, fun tennis shoes, sandals, etc.

I decided to take a pair of old Lands' End bootcut jeans that I don't wear too often and refashion them into a pair of boyfriend style jeans. It was a pretty quick and easy project - about 30 minutes from start to finish.

First, here is the before:
 While I had the jeans on, I marked the length I was going to cut off, keeping in mind that there would be a cuff as well that would make the finished jeans a bit shorter.

 I used chalk to draw a cut line on both sides of the jeans.



 I cut off 3" on this pair.

Next I decided how much I wanted to fold up for the cuffs. These have 1 1/2" cuffs.

  I used the iron to press the cuff into place. I folded the it twice so there were no raw edges.


Once the cuffs were pressed, I sewed the cuffs on both sides, once on each side of the seam. I used a denim needle for this project - it's a lot of layers!

Here are the finished jeans!


Have you ever refashioned a piece of clothing? I've been debating dyeing a pair of purple skinny jeans black next - what do you think? Have you ever dyed clothing?

I'm linking up!

Skip To My Lou
stillbeingmolly

 

Comments

Lindsay said…
So, they are called boyfriend jeans? Well, all of my capris are about that length. Is it the length or the cuff? I am confused. I am such a slacker about hemming (even though I could use it on most of my pants) and mending. I am really irritated by people who find out that I can sew and then expect me to do all of their hemming and mending, like I have nothing better to do. I am getting better about saying "no" to them. Let's hope they don't see your cute refashion here! Great job!!!
They turned out great! I'd love if you'd link up to My Style Monday! http://fashionsgreatesthits.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-style-monday_8.html
Chandra said…
nice refashion! i just recently did a dress (my first time taking scissors to anything)and i may have to give this a try.

chandra
astylishlittlelady.com
Jess said…
I got a sewing machine for Christmas, but haven't taken the time to learn how to use it yet (oops!)...I'd love to be able to use it to do some alterations to update some pieces! For some reason working with dye scares me, so I'll have to stay tuned to see how it goes for you if you decide to go for it! :)

Jess - J's Style