Book Review: Courting Cate



Courting Cate is book number 1 in The Courtships of Lancaster County series by Leslie Gould. Cate is the older daughter in her family. She's unconventional for an Amish woman - she spends her time reading books and helping her father with his business. She's known for being a little bit prickly and outspoken as well. Her younger sister Betsy is the sweet, charming, beautiful sister. The sisters are shocked when their father lays down the law and says that Cate must get married before Betsy is allowed to do so - even though no one is currently interested in courting Cate. When Pete Treger comes into the area, everyone things he is the perfect candidate for courting Cate, even Cate herself. The course of true love rarely goes smoothly, and Cate and Pete must weather a variety of twists, turns, and trials in the hope of a happy ending.


Overall, I did enjoy this book. I liked the characters and appreciated the growth that many of them went through during the course of the book. Without giving anything away, I was very surprised by some of the plot developments. They were definitely not what I expected when I read the back of the book. That being said, I found a few of the situations in the plot a bit confusing and would have appreciated a bit more clarification on how certain things came to be. I did like how Cate's perspective changed during the course of the book. The overall message of the book was uplifting and inspirational. I am looking forward to reading other books in the series!

I received a copy of this book from the Bethany House Book Reviewers program in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Comments