Book Review: Adventures in Odyssey 90 Devotions for Kids



I really enjoy reviewing books and for the first time this month, I am reviewing a nonfiction book written for kids. Adventures in Odyssey: 90 Devotions for Kids is a devotional book for children. The devotions in the book are organized into 13 Themes: Salvation, Learning About Jesus, Discipleship, Prayer, The Bible, Exercising Faith, Forgiveness, Giving, Witnessing, Worship, Going to Church, Serving Others, and Overcoming Sin. All but the last theme has 7 devotions  - the last theme has 6 devotions and then there is an additional "bonus" devotion as well. Each devotion is only 2 pages long with a memory verse, daily challenge, and more included.

My daughter is 4 (almost 5) and we have been reading these devotions for the last couple of weeks. We worked our way through the Worship theme and have started the Prayer theme. Obviously, I have to read the devotions aloud to her, but they are a nice length even for listening. The memory verse is our favorite part - she even recited last week's verse to me today! It helps that the verse is reinforced each day during the theme. There are references to Adventures in Odyssey characters and episodes, which is a plus for fans of the show, but it also doesn't take away from the devotions if you aren't as familiar with the show.

In my opinion, the devotions are best suited to school age children - perhaps from approximately grades K-5, but it does work for younger children as well. It would make a wonderful family devotion book! We plan to keep reading ours and working through some of the other themes.

I was given a copy of this book by Tyndale House Publishers in exchange for this review; all opinions are my own.

Do you have a favorite devotional book that you use with your children? Leave me a comment; I'd love to hear about it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
We LOVE listening to Odyssey on the radio. I don't know if the devotional would be too juvenile for my children or not.

Right now we're using Streams in the Desert for Kids. It's fine. =)

Have a great day and be safe.
Lindsay said…
I didn't know they had a devotional book!?! My kids love listening to Adventures in Odyssey, so they would probably like that!