31 Days of Seeking Simplicity: Simplifying the To-Do List



First of all, I just want to thank everyone that has taken the time to comment so far. I am getting some great ideas and encouragement from you!

I do want to clarify: Ebay can be a great tool for making additional money and helping to weed out the clutter from your home. We actually have made over $650 this year from selling on Ebay, Amazon, etc. So it definitely can be worth your time! I personally need to get away from thinking that when I make a thrifted purchase of a name brand item I can always resell it on Ebay if it doesn't work out. I need to be more sure of keeping and using my purchases! There are also times and seasons to let this process go as it is quite time consuming (in my opinion) to list, ship, and so on.

I want to mention the to-do list briefly today and probably more in the days ahead. I have always been a list maker. I also am a person that constantly has ideas, projects, etc. In the last few months, I have been setting monthly and weekly goals. In my case, this is not working because I put too many things on my lists. I can never accomplish everything I write down. I also carry over unfinished tasks from week to week, making the lists progressively longer.

One of the ladies who commented here mentioned that she re-evaluates her priorities daily. I love this idea. I am toying with the idea of a daily to-do list that maybe only has 3-5 items on it. I know there are some great forms out there, but I think I should stick to simple. I might put something down two days in a row if it doesn't get done, or I might not. I really like the idea of re-evaluating each day.

Do you write lists? Daily, weekly, monthly to-dos? What works for you? I'd love to hear.

Comments

Shan said…
I am totally like you. I have to many new ideas along with a long list of the old ideas that I still try and convince myself I will accomplish. However, I have been thinking that the big ones. Such as business ideas or important family things should be carefully thought out and written down. That it may be something my kids may find useful later.

Anonymous said…
I have a list that is mental - sometimes things get forgotten. I also have a list on my desk of things I need to do. Some have been months in the 'waiting'. As they are things I imposed upon myself, I'm not stressing about them. While I would like to complete them, the world still turns if I don't.

Lindsay said…
I have a to-do list every day, but a lot of times I forget where I put it and then I am so lost. :) I never get it all done, either. I get soooo sidetracked! I just went to put something away in the shed yesterday and ended up cleaning out the entire thing! Don't get me wrong, it looks great and was a much needed clean-out, but I guess I just (finally) got on such a roll that I couldn't stop!
Sowing Stitches said…
To list or not....that is the question... :) I list, I don't list, I list, I don't list... You obviously see where this is going. Lists have a place, time and purpose yet for me can be binding and hinder creativity. So, I choose my listing wisely: when I don't want to leave something out such as friends & family at Christmas, when shopping for art supplies or once a month cooking ingredients, or when cataloging inventory. The remainder of the time I may list as a mental exercise to reorder my thoughts & time.

sowingstitches [at] gmail [dot] com