One of the ways that I maintain some simplicity in my life is to follow some daily and weekly routines. Sure, things happen to disrupt these routines, but on an average day or week, having these routines in place help me to keep things from getting too overwhelming.
- I try to start a load of wash every morning. My husband often folds a load or two when he gets up, so during the course of the day, I try to put this away. We made it a goal a couple of years ago to not let clean laundry pile up for days at a time.
- We have a few different tote bags that we use to load up library books that need returned, things that need to go to church, etc. I also have a church bag (which hold our choir music and anything I need for teaching Sunday School) and a work bag for the library.
- My mom made us a fabric bin that we have on our desk in our foyer. We keep our phone chargers, outgoing mail, and sunglasses there.
- I have a daily dry erase calendar hung in our living room that update and change weekly so we all know what's on the agenda for the week.
- My husband runs the dishes at night and usually unloads every morning. (He's a super awesome help.)
- We have a basket for putting Goodwill items in as we cull them out of our home.
A few new things I will be continuing after this month:
- I am going to stick to my no "to-do" list, especially not the monthly one. Too overwhelming and impossible to accomplish.
- I am continuing with the limited thrifting. I may go this weekend...but I may not. I think my goal right now will be twice a month. It has been a nice break, but I know I have gotten some wonderful items by thrifting so I'm excited to take a look again soon.
- I like limiting our time out of the house at least once a week. It's nice to have a calm day to look forward to.
Do you have any routines that you use that help you to maintain order in your home?