DIY Dance Skirt




My daughter loves her dance classes and is so excited to be going back to class this week. I have had a dance skirt on my sewing list for awhile and last night I finally tackled it. I used this tutorial from skirt as top for inspiration, but modified and changed it quite a bit.

I wanted a skirt that had a finished waist of 21" and was 12" long. I cut two pieces for this skirt: a hot pink chiffon piece that was 14" times the width of fabric and a cotton piece that was 3" x 30". I also used a piece of 1/2" elastic that was approximately 22" long.

I hemmed the bottom of the chiffon fabric, created the waistband out of the cotton, gathered the chiffon to fit the waist, then sewed it into the waistband. Then I threaded the elastic through the waistband, tacked it down at both ends, and sewed the skirt together using a french seam. If there is any interest, please leave me a comment, and I may try a tutorial with some pictures of each step.

She is pleased with how it turned out and had to try it on this morning. This cost around $5 or less to make - much cheaper than the ones in stores that are $12-$15 each. I have some pale green chiffon and a dark purple to make a couple more.

I'm linking up to Made by You Mondays at Skip to My Lou!

Comments

Lindsay said…
It is very cute! Great job!!! Was the chiffon hard to work with?