Storytime Fun: Pumpkins Everywhere!

In my work at the library, I plan storytime programs for ages 1 1/2 - 3 1/2. Every year, I try to put together a pumpkin storytime that is fun but has minimal references to Halloween. The books that mention Halloween primarily focus on seasonal elements (friendly bats, leaves, etc.) or the dressing up aspect of Halloween. Here are a few of my favorite books and a couple of newer books I've discovered. I have a few more new pumpkin books on request, so if they turn out to be good ones, I'll add them to the list.

Julius's Candy Corn by Kevin Henkes

For this rhyme, I put together a little set of cupcakes with candy corn on top made out of graphics from Microsoft Word to use as a flannelboard activity. Then, I modified the following rhyme to fit the story:

Down around the corner at the bakery shop, there were 5 little cupcakes with candy corn on top.
Along came Julius with a penny in his hand. He bought one cupcake and away he ran!

Repeat for 4, 3, 2, & 1, using the cupcakes to count down as each one is purchased.

You could also use the cupcakes for general counting practice.

Where is Baby's Pumpkin? by Karen Katz

It's Pumpkin Time by Zoe Hall

Plumply Dumply Pumpkin by Mary Serfozo

Duck and Goose Find a Pumpkin by Tad Hills

Mouse's First Halloween by Lauren Thompson

What are some of your favorite pumpkin books?

Comments