Frugal Friday: Plato's Closet

I have been in the mood to go through and get rid of things lately. This week, we spent some time doing this because Easter Seals was coming to our neighborhood to pick up donations. In addition to going through clothes, I went through all of my costume jewelry. I came up with quite a bit to weed out, but wasn't sure what to do with it.

I thought about eBay, but costume jewelry is plentiful there. I remembered we have a resale shop in our area called Plato's Closet. This shop specializes in reselling teen clothing and accessories. While I am definitely not in the "teen" demographic, I decided to call and see if they buy costume jewelry - and they did!

We took the jewelry to the store. The girls working there immediately started looking at our items and told us it would be about 10 minutes before they would know what they wanted to buy. While they did this, we looked around the store. Denim was plentiful as were items from Old Navy, Gap, and American Eagle. It was well-organized with items grouped together by color.

When the girls were finished, they gave us $11.49 for the pieces they selected. I was pleased at the experience and would be willing to try selling some clothes there at a later date as well.

If you have one of these stores in your area, and have name brand clothes in your closet,(although I did see some WalMart clothes there, too) you might want to give this store a try for making a bit of extra money.

What resale/consignment shops do you recommend?

For more frugal tips, check out Frugal Friday!

Comments

Brooke said…
i think we have one in my area - would be a better fit for my name brand stuff.
Megan said…
We have one of those. I'll have to stop in and check it out.