Giving Back: What Can You Do In Your Community?

One of my favorite blogs to read is The Motherload, a part of Amy Clark's MomAdvice web site. She recently wrote an eloquent post about her upcoming efforts to serve and help Faith Mission, a shelter in her hometown of Elkhart, IN. Elkhart has been profoundly impacted by our current economic situation and there are many there in great need. The following statement particularly resounded with me: "I have quietly been taking care of myself and my family...", which is what I feel I have been doing as well.

So what can we do? We have many opportunities to serve and give, not just in this upcoming holiday season, but throughout the year.

  • Consider participating in The MomAdvice Big Give. You can do this by donating through PayPal, or gathering donations to send to Faith Mission. There is a wishlist here of items that are needed.
  • Think of ways that you can help in your community. For the second year in a row, our church will be collection items for FlatRock Home and Care Center. This includes personal care items, clothing items, and toys for children and adults at the Center. I want to figure out a way to expand this ministry from last year, so I'll be thinking of ideas in the upcoming week.
  • Donate items. Save up food and toiletry items purchased during great sales and give a box to a local shelter or food pantry. Give your used clothing items to Goodwill and Salvation Army.
  • Volunteer your time. Check out Volunteer Match for local organizations that need your time and efforts.

It's overwhelming to me all of the needs in this world. It's easy to feel that we can't do enough so we shouldn't do anything at all. That isn't true. We can make an impact, one person at a time.

"When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "

Matthew 25:39-40

Comments

Amy said…
What a great post- thank you so much for sharing about our mission. I truly believe that we all can do something great, but sometimes it is just finding the confidence to take a risk and put yourself out there.

Good luck with all of your community service!!!