What I Wore: 20x30 Reflections

I finished up my 20x30 challenge at the end of January, and I've been intending to write a reflection post for a few days. I did stick with the challenge for the entire month of January. You will have to take my word for it because I only ended up getting a few more outfit photos for the last 10 days - 2 weeks of the challenge. :) I did swap out the skirt for a chunky plum colored cardigan I bought at Maurices around the middle of the month. It was so cold that I hadn't worn the skirt at all and decided the cardigan was a lot more practical for the remainder of January.

Here are the new outfits I put together that I did photograph.


Striped Sweater + Gingham Button Down + Skinny Jeans + Black Boots + Statement Necklace


Plaid Shirt + Blue and Black Cardigan + Black Skinnies + Black Boots + Statement Necklace


Black Dress + Striped Turtleneck + Vest + Scarf + Boots

In spite of not photographing all my outfits I stuck with it and I definitely learned a lot from this challenge.

  • 20 pieces are surprisingly versatile. I was able to create a lot of combinations and could have made many more.
  • Accessories really make an impact. I found myself relying on scarves and necklaces a lot to create different looks.
  • Basic pieces are really important.
  • I often stick to "safe" color combinations or things that I think go together. During this challenge, I definitely put together some different color combos including cobalt blue and jade green (which I didn't get a photo of!) and it was fun to be creative in that way.
  • I can identify my core colors that I like to wear and enjoy mixing and matching. For me, they are purple, pink, green, blue, black, and gray. I do own a lot of other colors, but these are my favorites.
  • The reversible vest and my black boots got a ton of wear.
  • It was nice to not have so many choices. It was a relief to know I didn't have so many options.
  • As a result, I plan to go through my closet again today and see if there is anything else I need to get rid of.
  • It helped me to clarify what would be nice to have in my wardrobe to remix. I ended up at $2.97 clearance sale at Penney's yesterday and only bought one thing that I love. That would have never happened before.
See my other 20x30 remix posts here:
Outfits 1-7
Outfits 8-17

I'm linking up!

Greater Than Rubies

pleated poppy

Comments

Amy G said…
Great looks! Good for you for making it through! I know I've been more careful about my clearance shopping lately too - I still bring lots of things into the dressing room, but I'm able to weed most of it out before I get to the register.
Great job Carly - it sounds like you really learned a lot from the remix! You're favorite colors are just like mine. :)
I LOVE the first look, the pattern mixing is adorable! And I'm super jealous of the bright pink plaid shirt. I tried to buy one like that from Target, but my usual size gapped in the front and I couldn't move my arms (and they didn't have anything larger in stock). :( Oh well.
Carly, you rocked the remix! Nice work! Also, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! You can see the details at http://undergraduatestyle.blogspot.com/2014/02/liebster-award.html!
Caitlin said…
Carly, I loved reading your thoughts on the remix. Thanks so much for sharing them! I'm really glad you were part of the Winter Remix!

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday School Roundup: Story of the 10 Lepers

Summer to Fall Transitional Wardrobe: 2016 Edition

July 2016 Clothing Budget